Brancoveanu Monastery, Sambata
de Sus, Brasov County, Romania
Situated on the Sambata river, at the foot of Fagaras Mountains, it is renowned as a place of silence, comfort and strengthening of mind for believers and visitors who halt or pray in the sanctuary. The Romanian people, who “was born Christian” has the monastery, as well as by many other Orthodox monasteries in Romania, the most enduring of all Romanian bridge, the one and the either side of the Carpathians.
Brancoveanu Monastery – Sambata – over time
Brancoveanu Monastery history begins in the eighteenth century. In 1654 the village and the estate of Sambata de Sus entered mastery of Preda Brancoveanu, held in the southern Carpathians nobleman who built a wooden church on the river. In its place, around 1696, the first founder, The Constantin Brancoveanu, ruler of Romanians between 1688-1714, a monastery built in stone. In the late seventeenth century Transylvania had barely escaped from the main test Calvinists Calvinised it. The attacks continued but the main point of resistance, the Romanian Orthodox faith, aiming, in fact, their denationalisation.
To strengthen and save the new threat of Romanian Orthodox Catholicism, published by passing under Habsburg rule Transylvania (1683), Constantin Brancoveanu founded at Sambata an Orthodox monastery, to give testimony for the unity of nation and the faith of Romanians on both sides of the Carpathians.
Religious persecution of Austro-Hungary have made thousands of victims among the Romanians. Changing ancestral faith of the Romans would have led to the loss of their national identity easily. Orthodox Romanians tried to resist being helped primarily by their churches and monasteries. Because of this ordeal began destroying monasteries and churches in Transylvania. More than 150 monasteries were destroyed by General Bukow, General from Vienna. For a long time the Austro-Hungarian administration did not touch the Brancoveanu Monastery.
After decapitation of Constantin Brancoveanu by Turks in 1714, the Vienna Court took into account first of heiress, Mrs. Marica, his wife, and then that was left alive a nephew of the ruler.
In 1785, taking advantage of the circumstance, Vienna, Catholic administration request, sent General Preiss, who demolished the Brancoveanu Monastery. The cells were completely destroyed, and the church was brought into ruin. Brancoveanu Monastery, the last great bastion of defense of Orthodoxy in Fagaras, built between 1696-1698, was destroyed in 1785.
In the course of 140 years left in ruins after the date of destruction known several attempts to restore the monastery. The honor of becoming the second founder of Brancoveanu Monastery in Sambata de Sus went Metropolitan Dr. Nicolae Balan, who began restoration in 1926. The consecration of the church was made in 1946, after the war.
Brancoveanu Monastery – Sambata de Sus – the old church
Metropolitan Nicolae Balan preserved old painting inside the church; monastery church architecture fits entirely in Brancoveanu style, style appeared at the end of XVII century and early seventeenth century. XVIII in Romanian Country.
On the outside, decorative stone framing the windows and doors, especially the carved pillars and panels sawed stone of the church porch give great beauty of this monument. Belt sat in tooth brick, shingle roof and perfect proportions worthy of our era monument depicts a ruler Brancoveanu. The church tower is octagonal on the outside and inside cylindrical.
The interior, like the cross, is divided into altar, nave and porch and is sharing more common all the churches built in the era of Brancoveanu, as afterwards. The painting of the church porch is completely new and includes scenes from the Old Testament and the Last Judgement, Heaven and Hell. Entrance porch nave is through a door of oak, fixed in a frame of carved stone and the inscription carved above the door is a stone plaque.
On the west wall, which is painted Mother of God, are the founders Brancoveni votive painting.
In the nave, the painting is arranged in five books: holy martyrs, scenes from the New Testament, prophets, Resurrection and Transfiguration. Church temple built of solid wall, allowing entrance into the sanctuary through three doors, is also entirely fresco painted by church canon corresponding icons.
Fresco of the altar is ready in four registers: Virgin Mary on the throne, sharing the Apostles, Holy Hierarchs – in two registers. Below the church, about 50 meters, Metropolitan Nicolae Balan rebuilt the old bell tower of the monastery in its initial form, where until 1997 – when they were moved to new premises in the tower – the five bells were housed in close coordination, weighing more than 2000 kg. Brancoveanu Monastery – Sambata de Sus – cells and other outbuildings
In the years 1976-1977 was fenced area owned by the monastery, sitting in a new gate carved oak and finished the work of restoring the Brancoveanu chapel, executed in oak carved Brancoveanu grounds, and interior decorated with paintings Byzantine. Fountain “Healing Spring” documented in the XVI century, the oldest piece in the monastery, around which, over time, have spent many miraculous occurrence and legends tissue was restored, first, by Metropolitan Nicolae Balan, and today our built around her a carved oak canopy. Also as a work of Brancoveanu Monastery enroll renewal and renovation and expansion of the forest shrine where religious services are done outdoors.
The third founder of Brancoveanu Monastery in Sambata IPS Dr. Antonie Plamadeala elected Archbishop of Sibiu in 1982, Metropolitan of Transylvania, Crisana and Maramures.
P.S. Anthony monastery Brancoveanu rebuilt from the foundation, work started in 1985 under his direction have made repairs and restored the old Brancoveanu church painting.
Surrounding the ground they built premises in Brancoveanu style, quadrilateral, according to Romanian Orthodox tradition, consisting of two massive bodies of buildings with two levels – one north and one south; Three towers adorn carved in stone outside and inside the premises.
The assembly of buildings located on the north side comprises inter alia, on the ground floor, a spacious refectory, kitchen and cells on the first floor, the house Brancoveanu, a large library, a guest chamber and the attic museum exhibits ancient icons on glass and wood heritage objects collected by IPS Antonie, all these spaces testifying intention to make Brancoveanu Monastery a center of Orthodox spirituality and Romanian culture.
Brancoveanu Monastery – Sambata
de Sus – the new church
After 208 years of its demolition in 1785, revived the Brancoveanu Monastery on Sunday, August 15, 1993, the feast of the “Assumption”, when the new church was consecrated as the patron Saint Brancoveanu Martyrs, like the whole monastery. Currently congregation Brancoveanu Monastery in Sambata is composed of 35 monks, Father Abbot, Archimandrite Ilarion Urs.
Brancoveanu Monastery – Sambata –
“Sambata de Sus Academy”
One of the cultural-religious objectives that increase the brilliance he has Brancoveanu Monastery is the future “Sambata de Sus Academy – spirituality, culture, art, science”, which was inaugurated in the monastery dedicated to the “Assumption” of 15 August 2003.
source information: www.crestinortodox.ro
Translated from Romanian – Photo credit Go2-Romania.com
- Mavrogheni Church near Museum of the Romanian Peasant
- Accommodation Bucharest and accommodation Romania