Bucharest City Tour – Bucharest Sightseeing Tour – map and video
Bucharest Sightseeing Tour:
Free Press Square, The Arch of Triumph, Victoriei Square, Revolution Square, The Palace of Parliament, Unirii Square, Romana Square, Charles de Gaulle Square.
Kiseleff Boulevard, Victoriei Street, Regina Elisabeta Street, Constitution Square, Nicolae Balcescu Boulevard, Lascar Catargiu Boulevard, Aviatorilor Boulevard, Kiseleff Boulevard.
10:00 – 22:00
– The last bus that leaves from Free Press Square / Piata Presei Libere to Unirii Square / Piata Unirii is at 21:00 and from Unirii Square / Piata Unirii to Free Press Square / Piata Presei Libere at 21:25.
– Hop on – Hop off 24H
– The time between two buses is approximately 20 minutes.
– The ride lasts approximately 50 minutes.
– Adults: 25 lei – Children aged 7-14: 10 lei – Children under 7 travel free.
– The ticket is valid for 24 hours starting from the first validation.
Bus Stops and sights
Herastrau Park – The House of the Free Press, Free Press Square – The Village Museum, The Arch of Triumph – Herastrau Park, Victory Square – Grigore Antipa Museum / Geology Museum, The Museum of the Romanian Peasant / Victoria Palace / Museum “George Enescu”, Revolution Square – Cretulescu Church The Romanian Athenaeum / Telephone Palace / National Art Museum of Romania / Central University Library, The Palace of the Parliament / The Palace of the Parliament, The CEC Palace – The CEC Palace / The National History Museum / The Stavropoleos Church and Monastery, Union Square – The Orthodox Patriarchal Cathedral / Manuc’s Inn / Old Princely Court, Bucharest University – The Bucharest City Museum / Coltea Hospital / Bucharest University / Bucharest National Theatre.
Herastrau Park is the largest park in Bucharest, and the largest city park in Europe. Situated in the northern part of Bucharest, it extends on a surface of 110 hectares, and lies on the banks of Herastrau lake. The Herastrau park was arranged between 1936-1939 by the landscape architects Emil Pinard and Frederich Rehbun, and the alleys were designed by the architect Octav Dobrescu. The park has a great variety of trees such as willows, poplars, white ash, lime and maple trees. The alleys are lined with statues depicting important figures in the national and universal culture. Inside the park you can visit the Village Museum, ExpoFlora, the Japanese Garden, the Roses Island. Another attraction is the Elisabeta Palace, built between 1936 and 1937 in Spanish-Moorish style. It was named after Princess Elisabeta, king Carol’s sister and a former queen of Greece.
The House of the Free Press is one of the tallest buildings in Bucharest. Built between 1952 and 1957 on the grounds of the former hippodrome, the construction was intended to house all Bucharest’s printing houses and was initially known as House Scanteii / Casa Scanteii. Scanteia was the name of the Romanian Communist Party’s official newspaper. The architecture of the building was inspired by that of the tall buildings in Moscow but it also features some elements of traditional Romanian design. The House of the Free Press has continued its tradition and today it is still home to news agencies and printing houses.
“Dimitrie Gusti” Village Museum is located in Herastrau Park and it is one of the largest open-air ethnographic museums in Europe. It houses buildings and peasant households from different ethnographic areas. Opened in 1936, at the initiative of the famous Romanian sociologist Dimitrie Gusti, the museum comprises today 121 authentic peasant facilities (houses, windmills, churches, inns), including 338 different constructions. A walk in the museum village is in fact a short journey through Romania’s provinces. The viewer is thus able to see the evolution of the peasant architecture since the 17-th century up to the beginning of the 20-th century.
The Arch of Triumph is a triumphal arch located in the northern part of Bucharest, on the Kiseleff Road. The first, wooden, triumphal arch was built hurriedly, after Romania gained its independence (1878), so that the victorious troops could march under it. Another temporary arch was built on the same site, in 1922, after World War I, which was demolished in 1935 to make way for the current triumphal arch, which was inaugurated in September 1936. The current arch has a height of 27 meters and was built after the plans of the architect Petre Antonescu. It has as its foundation a 25 x 11.50 meters rectangle. The sculptures with which the facades are decorated were created by famous Romanian sculptors such as Milly and Emily. Nowadays, military parades are held beneath the arch each 1 december, with the occasion of Romania’s national day.
website informations source: http://bucharestcitytour.ratb.ro
Video – Bucharest City Tour RATB Directed Autonomous of Transportation in Bucharest seightseeing tour