Peles Castle residence of the kings, Sinaia, Romania | Bucharest / the colors of the Autumn | Petrache Poenaru, the fountain pen inventor | Amber from Alunis Colti, Buzau county | Ski resorts in Romania: Sovata, Izvorul Muresului, Vartop, Toplita | Ski resorts & leisure resorts in the Romanian mountains | Blogs that we read and recommend | Taga cheese,Romanian Camembert | Romanian cuisine, Traditional recipes, Romanian food | Beautiful Lakes of Romania volcanic, glacial, periglacial, wind artificial lakes, karstic lakes, fluvial and marine morphological lakes, anthropic lakes, clasto-karstic lakes |

Mavrogheni Church near Museum of the Romanian Peasant

Mavrogheni Church on Kiseleff near
Museum
of the Romanian Peasant

 

Google Map Print Screen - Mavrogheni Church, Healing Spring

Google Map Print Screen – Mavrogheni Church, Healing Spring

The history of the Mavrogheni Church

The church dedicated to “Healing Spring” / (in romanian) “Izvorul Tamaduirii” was founded by Phanariot Ruler Nicholas Mavrogheni (1786 – 1790), made in 1787 in thanks to God for healing her daughter. After the Mavrogheni Ruler reform to put stoves in churches, this is the first hole built from the beginning with stove, parishioners can listen to the service without being bothered by the cold. For nearly a century, this church was part of a monastery, the first abbot monk recorded in the documents being Dionysius / Dionisie. This would have led the monastery until 1805. After the secularization of monastic reform of Alexandru Ioan Cuza in 1863, slot becomes parish church.

Voievodal Mavrogheni Church dedicated to Healing Spring, built in 1787. Historical Monument

Voievodal Mavrogheni Church dedicated to Healing Spring, built in 1787. Historical Monument

In 1852, on the place of the school ranked in the monastery functioned “School of Arts and Crafts” in 1870, the Mint State, and in 1894, a secondary school, which exists today. The church was repaired in 1794 by the Ruler Alexandru Moruzzi. The earthquake of 1839 affected the church structure, that need to be rebuild in 1847. It kept a single tower, located on the nave. Consolidations were conducted in 1890, 1902, 1941, 1997, 2008 and 2010.

“That’s the beautiful church at Cape Bridge / (Romanian) Capul Podului, that write some travelers from XVIII century, called Zoodohpighi source of life-giving church. It was built by Nicolae Voda Mavrogheni 1789 and is dedicated to the Lord their fire out quickly Monastery Ecaton Dapiliani of Paros, Mavrogheni his homeland. ”
(Ion Ionescu-Gion, History of the Bucharest)

“Today, the Mavrogheni church historical monument remained a beautiful corner of Bucharest, which protects the sanctity memory of many scholars and historical figures.”
(Duduta Olian, The Bucharest Soul)

Kindergarten St. Demetrius - Mavrogheni - inscription that proves that the great sculptor Constantin Brancusi lived here

Kindergarten St. Demetrius – Mavrogheni – inscription that proves that the great sculptor Constantin Brancusi lived here

Tombstones

In the churchyard there are some tombstones with special memorial value – the grave of John Heliade Radulescu / (Romanian) Ion Heliade Radulescu, Filipescu family, the family of Prince Michael Sutu and Princess Zoe Vacarescu Bagration and Romanian painter Horia Bernea grave and the grave of Moses Nicoara

The fountain built in memory of Ion Heliade Radulescu

The fountain built in memory of Ion Heliade Radulescu

/ (Romanian) Moise Nicoara. Besides these monuments are also found two wells, one of them realized after a Horia Bernea project, the other made by Ms Elena Aubert in memory of his daughter Maria Aubert. Beyond these monuments of great value and importance in the churchyard there is a kindergarten with extended hours. In the place of this kindergartens existed the first secular printing, then sculptor Constantin Brancusi lived during his studies in Bucharest, during which he also Mavrogheni church choir singer.

The painting of the Mavrogheni church

In 1928 is painted by the painter Gheorghiu, and in 1971 the parish of National Monuments request consent for restoration painting. Between 1971 – 1973, according to the plan approved by the Commission iconography of religious painting in 1970 from G. Smith Mirea / (Romanian) G. Popescu Mirea the painting is done by the painter teacher Costin Ioanid, his work drawing on the interior of the church and emphasizing its monumentality. This keeps painting canons.

Church architecture

Mavrogheni Church photo taken at the entrance

Mavrogheni Church photo taken at the entrance

The church is built in the shape of a cross, with a veil wall. The iconostasis was painted in the technique “a fresco” and was restored in 1977, after the earthquake, by painter Nicolae Constantin Sava restorer. The iconostasis is based on four panels of white marble carved with floral and zoomorphic elements forming framing icons. The decorative elements are in carved relief stucco based on lime and sand. Temple ends with a cornice in relief carved on it being resumed carved elements. Please note that this is the original temple.

Church Mavrogheni photo taken from the side where appears also the second fountain

Church Mavrogheni photo taken from the side where appears also the second fountain

Subsequent interventions

After the earthquake of 1977 the painting has suffered, entering restoration approach is also chaired by Professor painter Costin Ioanid, in 2014 the painting will be restored again, this time by former pupils of painter (Dan Neamu, Raluca Ceicu Biltiu and Simona Patrascu) to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of whom was a teacher of them.

Divine service program

Monday 18:00 Acastisul Holy Angels, Little holy water and Molieben
Wednesday 18:00 Holy Unction
Friday 08:00 am Matins, Divine Liturgy, Acatist of the Pious Paraskeva
Saturday 08:00 am Matins, Divine Liturgy, memorial service at 18:00 Vespers
08:00 Sunday Matins, Divine Liturgy 10:30, 18:00 Vespers

GO2 Romania Team / Freelancer / office(at)go2-romania.com

Flag Counter