Brief history of Operetta and Musical Theatre “Ion Dacian”, Bucharest, District 3, Romania
From vaudeville to operetta
Operetta history of Romania began long before the institutionalization of this genre in România. In the years 1830-1831, the main cultural centers in the country, the artistic life was dominated by vaudeville (a form of musical theater). The libretto written by Vasile Alecsandri, Matei Millo, Costache Negruzzi or Carada Eugene had been turned into vaudeville became famous. Composers such as Eduard Caudella, Alexandru Flechtenmacher, Johann Andreas Wachmann, Jacob Mureşianu contributes through their creations, to become familiar with the genre, and works such as “Crai Nou” (1882, first Romanian operetta) of Porumbescu, or so-called “comic operas” are among the favorites of music lovers.
After some musicologists, Romanian operetta time of birth is considered to be 1848, when his “Baba Harca” Alexandru Flechtenmacher an unusually vaudeville with a developed musical side, enjoyed great success.
Since then, operetta began to be supported by artists such as Constantin Grigoriu tenor – who, along with his band, present in the famous Garden Otetelesanu, almost all operetta repertoire, making known artists such as Florica Cristoforeanu, Mara d’Asti, Florica Florescu Ion Bajenaru George Niculescu Basu, V. Maximilian, Nae Leonard – as well as theater people like Constantin Tanase and Nicolae Vladoianu (directors of theater companies “Carabus” and “Alhambra” – representative for the theater of magazine).
A theater for artists of reference
After the successes of the Alhambra, the operetta genre has received support from the Army Theatre, at section of music with the headquarters in Uranus Street, offered vaudeville performances. In 1950 it was established the State Theatre of Operetta, which was inaugurated with the premiere of “Wind of Freedom” by Isaak Dunaevski, show the achievement of which contributed singers like Silly Popescu, Maria Wauvrina, Nae Roman, Migry Avram Nicolau, Toni Buiacici, Tiberiu Simionescu, N. Ionescu Dodo and many others. Works of references would also contribute to the increase of artistic quality theater productions, as were those who made up the repertoire of the institution during the time under the rule of one of the most important tenors ever had operetta – Ion Dacian – , one whose name is, since 1992, in the title of the theater: “The Land of Smiles” by Franz Lehár (1965); “The Secret of Marco Polo” by Francis Lopez (1966); “Viennese Blood” Johann Strauss (1967), “Countess Maritza” by Emmerich Kálmán (1967) etc.
Since 1986, when the building Theater of “Queen Mary” / “Regina Maria” Operetta host was overthrown, Bucharest institution has received in audience the Small Hall of the National Theater. Since then, and especially after 1989, the institution went through a period of searching, testing, adapting to the new conditions. Under the directorship Sorana Coroama Stanca, was tried, for example, upgrading repertoire, being mounted political cabaret (“Plaisir d’amour”) and carried on concerts as “Stabat Mater” by Rossini or “Mozart Concert”. A new life was brought to the Operetta between 1994-1999, when the institution was led by tenor Dorin Teodorescu. Between 1990-1997, many titles were resumed, this being due primarily to fluctuating financial support that has benefited.
In 2001, Operetta Theatre have got to receive, by government decision, the name of the National Theatre, the season marked by the premiere of “Miss Virtue (Susana)” by Jean Gilbert, directed by Constanta Campeanu. In 2005, because of a fire that devastated much of the spaces where the performances have taking place, the theater was forced to relocate work in other areas not necessarily appropriate to the musical performances.
Although shortly the Omnia Hall theater was assigned as its own headquarters, season 2005-2006 was held with a number of trips to the country and abroad, received hall can not be furnished as a space for performances.
Since 2006, when the theater management was taken over by Razvan Ioan Dinca, then director of the Theatre “George Ciprian” from Buzau, the institution has entered into a comprehensive process of reform at both the artistic as well as technical and administrative level.
Premiere as the ballet “Red and Black” after the novel of the same name by Stendhal, directed by Alexei Mezincescu and choreography by Adina Caesar, the musical “Broadway Bucharest”, which familiarized the audience with some of the most popular productions of Broadway (“Cats”, “Chicago”, “Cabaret”, “Evita”, Phantom of the Opera” and “West Side Story”) – are the first examples of performances that marked tendency to renew the theater.
website source information: http://www.opereta.ro/despre-noi/istoric
- CEC Bank Bucharest, Deposits and Consignments House, Romanian National Bank
- Thousands of young people today keep their virginity until marriage, Orthodox Youth Association