Radu Voda Monastery History
Radu Voda Monastery under the patronage of the Holy Trinity and St. Nectarios of Aegina hierarch, was founded by Prince Mircea Alexandru II (1568-1577) and his lady, Ecaterina, to thank God that gave him victory in the struggle from this places against Vornicul Vintilă-and-Vornicul Grove. Voda raised it with the thought of Metropolitan Capital.
At the time of founding, named Holy Trinity. In the turmoil of those times, the sacred institution falls, in 1595 in the hands of the Turks (Ottoman Empire). After the victory of Michael the Brave at Călugăreni, famous Sinan Pasha, the enemy of Mihai, fortified the monastery with a palisade, with earth walls and bastions. The whole city is also strengthened by the Turks. In vain, however: after the victory of the great prince in October 1595 in Targoviste, Sinan is forced to withdraw from the victorious armies of Christians. But not before destroying all fortifications he lifted himself up and tear down the foundation of the Holy Monastery triptychs.
Times were terrible: the city was plundered and destroyed when the Turkish Armed own or by the Christian princes, or by the Tatars (Mongol Empire). Fires and looting were held chain. The monks abandoned the Holy Trinity and took refuge at the Mihai Voda Monastery. For several decades, troubles and frequent changes of the throne of Romanian rulers have not allowed them to rebuild the great monasteries needed respite.
Only in 1614, prince Radu Mihnea (1601-1602, 1611-1616, 1620-1623) begins to rebuild, keeping the home building plans and elevation. The church is known then under the name of its founder. Son and his successor to the throne, Alexandru Coconul (1623-1627) cares for repainting the church. In times Phanariot rule, the great monastery Radu Voda, one of the richest in Bucharest, is governed by Greek abbots, good merchants but pathetic monastic building managers; long, the monastery accumulate wealth, estates, vineyards, houses and shops in Bucharest, but the possession of great wealth is not reflected in improvements to buildings.
Plan and architectural forms of church Radu Voda are inspired from the Episcopal Church of Curtea de Arges, with the difference that the building material used is no made by stone, but from bricks. The plan is conch, the tower above the nave, a narthex expanded, covered with three towers of which the main one rests on twelve columns, symbolizing the twelve apostles, as the model of Curtea de Arges.
The facades, divided into two registers of unequal height with a belt, have a simple decoration, consisting of entering niches with archivolts that gives rhythm pleasing white plastered surfaces. Current appearance of the church is due to last restoration, conducted by architect Stefan Bals between 1967-1974 (after the church was repainted).
The restoration brought the building to its architectural forms as initial ruining the top of the church, it was rebuilt by mid nineteenth century in Gothic style popular in that era. Also when the porch was added, which is still preserved today. Inside are worth seeing beautiful Baroque iconostasis expression and tombstones of the narthex: one of the oldest is that of Prince Vlad, son of Mihnea Turcitul dead at the end of the sixteenth century.
Right tomb of the founder is in a recess of the narthex and nave. On the stone laid by his son, a long inscription reminds of the glorious reigns “Good honest man who love Christ and was loved back by the Christ. Christian Ruler Radu Voivod who was the ruler of Romanian and Moldavian and overcame many wars that came from the honest Gate (Ottoman Empire), was the Second Romanian Ruler of the Land and left his flag up to his son what’s written above, and again went to and was the Ruler of Moldavia; and he died there in fully January on the fortress of Hârlău city 13 days and with great honor brought him and his body was buried in the month of February in five days Sunday. Here lie his bones. God forgive him in the Kingdom of Heaven true; 7134 years “(1626).
In the north of the church is kept the bell tower, the last vestige of the once powerful monastic enclosure. Times have not spared (an inscription above the entrance from the south reminds that after the great earthquake of 1802 was in a “lamentable” state), but they respected rework appearance, so the way it looks today is probably enough close look at the XVI century, when it was built by Prince Alexandru II Mircea. Cells monastery on the hill that rises south of the church, dating back to 1893 and were built by care of Ion Scorţeanu and his sister Maria Şchiopescu as Theological Internat.
information source: www.manastirearaduvoda.ro translated from Romanian to English
Chop at the Radu Voda Monastery from Bucharest. Radu Voda Monastery History article.
2014 Easter Mass of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ – Radu Voda Monastery, Bucharest, Romania.