Timisoara capital city of Timis County, Banat historical region from western of Romania – from the past until the present
The city of Timisoara is documented since the late XIII century, first document of the city of Timisoara is however controversial, is placed by specialists in 1212 or 1266. In 1342, Timisoara is mentioned with the title “civitas” – city. Archaeological findings indicate the existence of a Roman settlement but possibly the city, on the site of today’s city. Timisoara name comes from Castri de Thymes (fortification built in the early eleventh century to the supervision of fords and roads), which retained the old Romanian Dacian name of the river Timis.
Due to the strategic settlement history of the ancient citadel of Timisoara is marked by involvement in the fight to halt the Ottoman advance towards Central Europe. Timisoara Fortress was built in the eighteenth century, the marshes left by flooding rivers Timis and Bega. Moreover, the surrounding marshes were, for a long time, a natural fortification of the city. Building Bega Canal starting in 1728 led to dry marshes and land improvement.
Timisoara received a particular boost during the reign of King Charles I of Anjou, who after his visit in 1307 ordered the construction of a royal palace here. Moreover, during the feudal anarchy, the Hungarian capital will move. Hunyadi’s appointment to the position of Timis county, in 1440, marks a unique chapter in the history of Timisoara. He turned the town into a permanent military camp in his home, moving here with his family. The city remained in possession of Corvin familly until 1490.
A great episode in the history of Timisoara is the siege by the army of peasant uprisings led by Gheorghe Doja. Insurgent armies consisting of Romanian and Hungarian serfs, had to be defeated near Timisoara, comitele John Zápolya. Legend says that the place where Doja was killed, put on a red iron chair and burned alive, is marked by the statue of Virgin Mary in the market with the same name.
In 1552 the Ottoman army, commanded by Ahmed Pasha, conquered the city and made it the capital of the Ottoman vilayet and castle of the city was installed beilerbei with the rank of pasha or vizier. For 200 years, Timisoara was the Ottoman Empire, being under direct control of the Sultan and given a special status as the cities of Belgrade and Buda. The fortress was used as a strategic starting point for military campaigns in the northwest.
In 1716, Prince Eugene of Savoy reconquest the city, which marked the beginning of another 200 years of domination, this time by the Austro-Hungarian.
A special specific to Timisoara, unlike many other cities in Romania, is that here live for hundreds of years in harmony, different nationalities, such as that in Timisoara, besides Romanian, is currently speak Hungarian, German and Serbo-Croatian. Fabric and Iosefin districts have preserved footprint ethnic diversity and craftsmen who built them, while suburbs such as Mehala, Iosefin or Freidorf retains the typical features of the traditional villages of Banat Swabians. Finally, a special charm is given to parks and green spaces in the central area, Timisoara is called the “city of parks and roses”.
information website source: www.timisoaraazi.ro
- Accommodation Hunedoara county hotels, hostels, guesthouses and private accommodation
- Coliboaia cave are the oldest paintings in Europe