Peles Castle residence of the kings, Sinaia, Romania | Bucharest / the colors of the Autumn | Petrache Poenaru, the fountain pen inventor | Amber from Alunis Colti, Buzau county | Ski resorts in Romania: Sovata, Izvorul Muresului, Vartop, Toplita | Ski resorts & leisure resorts in the Romanian mountains | Blogs that we read and recommend | Taga cheese,Romanian Camembert | Romanian cuisine, Traditional recipes, Romanian food | Beautiful Lakes of Romania volcanic, glacial, periglacial, wind artificial lakes, karstic lakes, fluvial and marine morphological lakes, anthropic lakes, clasto-karstic lakes |

Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River

Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania

Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania - Church of the Turnu Monastery, Valcea ounty, Romania

Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania – Church of the Turnu Monastery, Valcea ounty, Romania

At the foot of Mount Cozia, near the river Olt, near the Caciulata resort (Calimanesti resort) and at 2 km away from Cozia Monastery founded by the Ruler Mircea the Elder / Mircea cel Batran, can be founded the Nunnery monastery, located at 600 m from the railway station with the same name. At the foot of the massive tails Turneanu peak, over time, there were many hermitages, cells dug into the rock by hermits living a true Christian life. Two of cells, carved in rock, are still today.

 

Name Monastery comes from a massive tower of rock called “Peak Theophilus” / “Piscul lui Teofil”, built in the II entury by Roman legions in Arutela camp whose ruins can still be seen in Poiana Bivolari below the current hydro. At the beginning he was called “Hermitage after the turn” / “Schitul de dupa turn”, then “Hermitage Turnu” / “Schitul Turnu” and finally, “Turnu Monastery”.
The old church which is located immediately at the entrance, was built in 1676, on the place of the another one mode from wood, built by former bishop of Râmnic, Varlaam, Metropolitan of Romanian Country (Oltenia and Muntenia, two old historical province of Romania), died in 1702. The settlement was a copy of the Cozia-Old monastery, being rebuilt by Gherasim Timus (1894-1911), but the old church was burnt in 1932, escaped the fire only the house of Timus Gherasim’s and the cells from the valley.

 

The fire broke out from a stove in the guest chamber on the night of 6 to 7 February 1932 destroy, in one hour, 5 houses with 26 rooms, 2 sheds, old refectory, bell tower of the small church, temple with all icons and lamps, the interior painting with plaster degrades; and the new house was on fire, but through a special effort the fire was extinguished. The entire assembly was restored in 1933. Ths church, smaller, is dedicated “Entering the Church to the Mother of God” / “Intrarea in biserica a Maicii Domnului”. Around her are kept numerous cells dug into stone, and inside are two caves where hermits are isolated from the world.

 

Xenodochium - monks living in the monastery cells - Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania

Xenodochium – monks living in the monastery cells – Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania

This has square shape, storey, floor with two levels, ground floor and first floor, each level being a church where services were conducted separately by another priest. It has a central dome, with access to the exterior stairs on the facade of the newly built south from the nearby lake. As a result of Decree 410 of 1959, the monastery was closed in 1961 and turned into a rest home for the Ramnic and Arges Diocese staff.
During the same year, the first driveway was arranged by building the bridge over the Olt River at Lotrisor. The greatest accomplishment is to bring the Hermitage at the level of Monastery status, event occurred in 1988. For his efforts, both spiritual and economic was awarded by the bishop with the rank of Protosinghel.

 

After the retirement of the Abbot Teoctist was appointed in 1990 Ioanichie Trifa monk, ordained priest in 1992, leading Monastery in the present. A native of Alba, devoted monastic life and good manager. After the 1932 fire, the sanctuary enjoyed a solid restoration, as shown today. Between 1935-1938, with floor cells were built and the entire complex was renovated. Until 1939 here functioned a school of church singers. Dwellers here lead an austere life, here the monks do not eat meat.

 

Near this ancient monastic settlement are still today some famous historical remains such as Roman camp “Arutela” rock stone called “Trajan’s mass” and thermal baths at Bivolari – on the left bank of Olt.
website information source: http://www.crestinortodox.ro/biserici-manastiri/manastirea-turnu-67824.html

Turnu Monastery close to Cozia Monastery on the shore of Olt River, Valcea county, Romania

GO2 Romania Team / Freelancer / office(at)go2-romania.com

Flag Counter